Sunday, June 9, 2013

Peach and Pistachio Cake @ Rick's Cafe, Oxford


It's my last week in Oxford and I realize that, besides Oxford's glorious libraries and meadows, there aren't too many local establishments that I will miss. In a student town like this, where the gastronomy is nondescript and good coffee is hard to come by, it is the people that will continue to inscribe nostalgia in Oxford's cafes and pubs.

I visited Rick's Cafe on a somber winter afternoon with a friend. Hoping to ignite ourselves with pastel-colored macaroons and sugary delights, A and I took a bus down to the hip Cowley Road, just slightly off Christ Church Meadows.

Rick's is a beloved local coffeeshop. Bland and unassuming, the place teems with impatient regulars and pensive students with laptops perching on their lap.

A and I decided on a selection of macaroons and a pretty looking peach and pistachio cake with candied mango. The macaroons, sad to say, were terribly disappointing - too far off Pierre Herme to be mentioned in a blog post, but the cake wasn't too bad.

Sunday had a way of spending its youth. A sipped her chai latte and poised herself with the view of Cowley Road traffic. We lingered until dark.

I never went back, but I know people who do for the mediocre coffee and free wi-fi.
Rick's Cafe 
88-90 Cowley Road,
Oxford, OX4 1JB


No comments:

Post a Comment