Monday, April 22, 2013

An Early Birthday Treat: Yellow Velvet Cake from Harvest


I'm a perpetual victim of advertisements - and happily so. Last week, when I was back home in Jakarta, I saw this giant billboard from Harvest bakery, advertising their latest creation: the yellow velvet cake.

After seeing the billboard I went straight to the nearest Harvest and learned that the "yellow velvet" is lemon cake layered with lemon mousse.

Normally, I would never get a cake from Harvest. I've had their cookies, macaroons, and whatnot, and was never pleased with my purchase.

But this! This is delicious - light, fluffy texture, not too sweet, incredible citrus mousse.

And it's a damn good bargain at 300 thousand rupiah apiece.

The cake was so good that for my birthday dinner two days later, I asked for the same cake. Everyone at the dinner loved it. My friend J even said, "This is the best birthday cake I've ever had."

Technically, it's not my birthday yet - but my aunt wanted to cook for me and I needed an excuse to get a second cake.

--------

My aunt and I just moved to a new home with a fabulous new kitchen. Below are some of the things she made while I was home. (The last picture is of an ice cream cake from Huize van Wely.)


No comments:

Post a Comment