Sunday, August 19, 2012

Roasted Beef Noodle @ Bull Noodle, Shanghai


I can't really say I've been to Shanghai until I've had its famed noodles. I love la mian, like other noodle products, and all I've been hearing from other people is "Wait till you get to Shanghai." You can imagine how excited I was to try the noodles here.

On Saturday, S and I went to a fun place recommended by Pearl Lam, the Noodle Bull. Technically, the Noodle Bull is from Taiwan, but like a lot of imported franchises here, the Noodle Bull is no doubt Shanghainized.

The Noodle Bull offers five kinds of soups and three different types noodles: the hand sliced noodle, the 5mm hand pulled noodle and 1.5 mm hand pulled noodle. (I was so aroused by that precision in noodle production..). I ordered the roasted beef noodle, while S, decidedly indecisive, ordered some Kirin beer and the trios of noodle containing a bowl of Bull noodle, a bowl of spicy and sour noodle, and a bowl of braised pork noodle. We also ordered some marinated quail eggs and a plate of thin sliced beef.

Was I satisfied? Absolutely. The noodle had perfect consistency and body. The broth was a clear, honest concoction of stock and soy sauce with a sour tang to it. Even more potent was the roasted beef, which was smoked with spices and tender to the insides. I am inadequate to the task of saying more.
Noodle Bull
291 Fumin Road
Shanghai

No comments:

Post a Comment