Thursday, August 30, 2012

Pork Crackling Spaghetti @ Union, Jakarta


Union is a place that needs no introduction in Jakarta. The restaurant quasi bakery is a recent hype that has become one of the city’s staple hangouts. You’ve probably been there. Your friends must have been there. Everyone goes there for plenty of good reasons.

Union gets everything right – at least beginning from my bread and butter (the hosts are notorious for being haughty and hostile to customers). The bread is notably good. I appreciate good bread in a city like Jakarta because people hardly pay attention to bread these days. The menu is solid and well crafted. No “filler” items. Imagine going to a concert and listening to number one hits all night long.

I’ve had too much Union food to be able to recall each meal in detail. No bad memories. Today, I tried their bacon lardon spaghetti with pork crackling and truffle cream and it was ohmygod so good. It was pretty much crispy pork skin with truffle cream and more crispy pork skin with more truffle cream from beginning to end. I was floored with fatty goodness. 

My friend A had the barramundi with scallop pan-seared in XO paste. I will never understand that combination of barramundi and scallop, but scallop and spicy XO? Ingenious.

We didn’t get dessert today but my boyfriend and I are very fond of their signature red velvet cake. We saw the cake on our way in and ordered it on a whim. Such a sumptuous cake with light, happy flavors, savory enough to please someone who can’t handle too much sugar like my boyfriend.

The nonchalant French décor resonates with a lot of vintage-inspired settings in Jakarta. I recommend going there in the day when it’s more beautiful and less crowded.
Union
Plaza Senayan
Jl. Asia Afrika No. 8
Jakarta
+622157905861

2 comments:

  1. I like all your pictures, but the best has got to be the first one. My attention is quickly shifted to the gorgeous, tempting red velvet cake (the drum in my tummy is currently beating, 7am in the morning), which deserves the attention it gets because you know you haven't been to Union if you haven't tried their red velvet. But most importantly, it tells a story! It shows how people behave at Union - their fork just simply can't wait to dive into the cake. The hand of the server just adds more dynamics to the picture, where you can imagine how the scene starts and finish off. Right in the moment!

    ReplyDelete