Tuesday, August 28, 2012

African Chicken @ FJ Rotisserie, Jakarta


I'm back in Jakarta, resuming the rest of my holiday. The good news is I have a lot of great pictures from the rest of my China and Hong Kong trip. The bad news is that I'm sick and that I generally have less time to blog since I'm working on other projects this month.

I wish I'm doing this for a living, but the fact is that I'm a college student majoring in Development Economics and deep into geeky research on agrarian economics and food sovereignty. (Yes, my research work is about securing food for other people's table. I am a foodie economist after all.)

It's been an eye-opening journey and I've enjoyed picking up photography again. As a photographer, you're always forced to be more observant and capture the environment around you. There's also that split-second when you plan your shot, where you have to activate your imagination and produce a whole story behind a single picture. You walk slower than you normally do and take notice of little details you would otherwise dismiss. That state of being is a true rarity in our time-crunched world where people walk in haste, feet determined to known destinations and eyes glued to smartphones and LED displays.

I told my sister N that I was unwell and she took me to FJ Rotisserie for lunch. FJ Rotisserie is part of FJ'L - a snob institution of high-end retail and dining based in Kemang. FJ'L was the definition of Jakarta's cool back in his heyday, but what was then a rarefied experience has slid to mediocrity among the many.

My sister works nearby and she goes to FJ Rotisserie for their African Chicken and rice pilaf. I am avoiding Chinese food for now and FJ restaurants in general make lovely pasta. I got their Ricotta Ravioli with Shrimp Scampi and spent the rest of the afternoon drinking Mariage Frères teas. Food is solidly good but often unreasonably pricy.

Then again, you might just be paying for their neat interior and ambiance (as so often the case with West Village eateries in New York).
FJ Rotisserie
Dharmawangsa Square
Dharmawangsa IX
Jakarta
+622172786550

No comments:

Post a Comment