Sunday, September 9, 2012

Doughnuts and Mexican Hot Chocolate @ Otel Lobby, Jakarta


Ask me what my favorite pick-me-up food is and I'll tell you that it's doughnuts and Mexican hot chocolate from Otel Lobby.

Easily one of the best hangouts in Jakarta, Otel Lobby is a cool gastropub. Modeled after a real hotel lobby, its interior exudes with masculine beauty: wrought iron window guards, eclectic furnitures, a dazzling hue of bronze punctuated with turquoise and burnt orange upholstery.

Here the drinks are strong and the music is right. But the real superstar is still the food.

Since my first visit, I've developed an affinity to Otel Lobby's familiar yet original food. It's the type of comfort food that may well double as instant crowd-pleasers. The herbed pappardelle with braised shortribs and orange-vanilla pannacotta are must-trys. What I love about these is how the recipes allow you to really taste and appreciate all the ingredients in a dish and feel that each one is well-chosen and the execution is thought out.

For the ultimate homemade comfort, get the black and white pasta. The pasta is cooked with crushed tomatoes, fresh seafood and chili, topped with deep fried seaweed. The original Otel Lobby recipe used squid ink pasta, but they recently replaced the recipe with black and white fettucine. I tried the dish the other day and it's still great despite the change in texture.

I always end my meal with their scrumptious homemade doughnuts. There really is nothing quite like eating fresh doughnuts with hot chocolates. Simple, fun and mighty delicious.

Otel Lobby
Annex Building, Bakrie Tower
Jl. Epicentrum Tengah
Jakarta
+622129941324
www.otellobby.com

No comments:

Post a Comment