Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Spicy Pork Ribs @ Di Shui Dong, Shanghai


Today is my second day in Shanghai and already I don’t want to leave. Ever.

I discovered one of the many reasons at last night’s dinner.

My friend S took me to Di Shui Dong, a Hunan-inspired restaurant in the French Concession that delivers flavorful, spicy dishes. For a small joint, Di Shui Dong had an extensive twenty-page menu of dishes uniformly dressed in chili pepper.

S and I were really hungry so we ordered a lot of small dishes including, not one, but two different kinds of eggplant dish (eggplant is supposedly very popular vegetable in Shanghai). Amid our mindless choosing, S made sure we ordered the spicy pork ribs.  

“Is it really good?”

“Oh yeah. You definitely want those ribs.” S nodded convincingly.

Braised in soy sauce and covered with ever-fragrant cumin seeds and scallion, the meat easily fell out of the bones. The ribs were grilled dry, yet textured and packed with flavors since each rib was cooked separately.

I shamelessly had more than half of the portion to myself. Such delicious dish left hardly any space for table manners.
Di Shui Dong
56 Mao Ming Road
Shanghai 

No comments:

Post a Comment