Friday, August 17, 2012

Sea Bream Carpaccio @ New Heights, Shanghai





After an afternoon of gallery hopping at The Bund, I decided to try the restaurant at the top floor of Three on the Bund and what a happy coincidence it was!

I immediately liked New Heights. Averse to the likes of Jean Georges in Shanghai (or Singapore), I have nothing to complain about locally grown cosmopolitanism. The main restaurant was a cool modern space encased in glass windows with direct access to a vast rooftop terrace. Plenty of sunshine and a stunning view overlooking The Bund and the skyline of the financial district across the river.

Shanghai, I've learned now, has fabulous lunch deals. For a mere twenty bucks I had a sea bream carpaccio, a grilled salmon, an Earl Grey creme brulee and a lemongrass soda. The salmon was average at best, but the carpaccio and the creme brulee made it all worth my while.

The sea bream carpaccio was perfectly complimented by their ginger dressing and avocado-wasabi coulis. The creme brulee was not the usual light and candy sweet Earl Grey dessert (of which I've had plenty) since the cream portion was weighted by a hint of dark chocolate and orange infusion.

While it's nothing new, the incorporation of mandarin orange was a welcome one and reminded me of one of my favorite teas from Les Palais du The, The Des Lords, which is a wonderful Earl Grey with a strong bergamot scent.

New Heights is an amazing space. Everyone should take their dates here, or even find a date if you don't have one already. I came in the afternoon for the sake of lighting, but in the likelihood that I return, I would go just before sunset and savor the impeccable view.
New Heights
Three on the Bund
7th Fl
17 Guangdong Street
Shanghai

No comments:

Post a Comment